Directly translated as Indonesian Layer cake, having being made up of multi layered thin sponge cakes; the Kek Lapis Indonesia is a very rich cake with very high contents of eggs and butter, usually served during festive occasions and holidays. A very unique cake where spices are added in to give the sweet aroma, a touch of CSR Caster Sugar rounds it all up nicely.
- 455g butter
- 115g flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice (ground cinnamon, cloves, anise and cardamon)
- 17 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 255g CSR Caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Grease the bottom and sides of square cake pan. Cut a piece of grease-proof paper in to fit the base exactly and grease the paper.
- Preheat the top grill of the oven to 180°C.
- Sift flour with mixed spice and set aside.
- Beat butter and vanilla essence until creamy
- Cream egg yolks and sugar well until thick and tripled in volume.
- In a different bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Mix the creamed egg yolk mixture with the creamed butter and slowly fold in the spiced flour, alternating with the beaten egg whites. Carefully fold and mix well.
- Take one ladleful of cake mixture and pour into cake pan. Spread mixture evenly to make about 0.5cm layer and bake under the grill for 5 minutes or until light brown.
- Remove pan from oven and using a skewer, prick top of cake to prevent air bubbles from forming
- Ladle another layer of cake mixture onto the baked cake and repeat this process until all the cake mixture is used up.
- When done, remove the cake from pan at once.Turn it over, top side up, onto a cooling rack and let cool for at least half an hour.