true Malaysian fashion, the Beef Rendang fuses together sweet, sour, and savory
elements, the curry picking up a creamy richness from two forms of coconut; deeply
spiced with ginger and tumeric, kaffir lime and chillies. Sprinkle in a pinch
of CSR Soft Brown Sugar to make the flavors truly pop!
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless beef short ribs, cut into cubes
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cinnamon stick, about 2-inch length
- 3 cloves
- 3 star anise
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 lemongrass, cut into 4-inch length and pounded
- 1 cup thick coconut milk (coconut cream)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons tamarind pulp, soaked in some warm water for the juice and discard the seeds
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, very finely sliced
- 6 tablespoons kerisik(toasted coconut)
- 1 tablespoon CSR Soft Brown Sugar
- Salt to taste
- Chop the spice paste ingredients and then blend it in a food processor until fine.
- Heat the oil in a stew pot, add the spice paste, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, and cardamom and stir-fry until aromatic.
- Add the beef and the pounded lemongrass and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk, tamarind juice, water, and simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently until the meat is almost cooked.
- Add the kaffir lime leaves, kerisik (toasted coconut), sugar or palm sugar, stirring to blend well with the meat.
- Lower the heat to low, cover the lid, and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is really tender and the gravy has dried up.
- Add more salt and sugar to taste.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice and save some for overnight.